Sunday, November 25, 2012

Women and dogs

When I draw a woman's face I see this being staring back at me and I wonder where the heck she came from. From my subconscious, I suppose. Sometimes they bug me and I decide that I am moving on to something else, that I will resist the impulse to draw a female face, but it is difficult to do.
After these two babes, the alien princess and the pin-up, I decided to move on to dogs, but don't know how long it will last. Both the "pin-up" and the dog on the right were there on the page, barely visible after I put down the background, waiting for me to give them a more definite shape, so I did as I was told. Honestly. Of the woman, I saw the breasts, the shoulders and the hair, of the dog, the ears, the nose and one eye. If you use several layers of paint, scraped on and rubbed off, you are bound to see something in there.

Quando disegno un volto femminile vedo questo essere che mi guarda e mi chiedo da dove diavolo venga. Dal mio subconscio, immagino. A volte mi danno ai nervi e decido che comincero` a disegnare qualcosa di diverso, che resistero` all'impulso di disegnare un volto femminile, ma e` difficile. 
Dopo queste due, la principessa aliena e la bambolona, ho deciso di dedicarmi ai cani, ma non so quanto durera`. Sia la bambolona che il cane a destra erano li` sulla pagina, appena visibili dopo che avevo dipinto lo sfondo, che aspettavano che io gli dessi una forma definitiva. Cosi` ho fatto come hanno voluto loro. Davvero. Della donna ho visto il seno, le spalle e il capelli e del cane le orecchie, il naso e un occhio. Se usi vari strati di pittura, spalmati su e strofinati via, e` inevitabile scorgerci qualche immagine. 
Maybe I should do women AND their dogs. 
Forse dovrei dipingere le donne INSIEME ai loro cani. 

4 comments:

Janis said...

Wow, I love what you're doing. Though I know what you mean, faces are difficult... but I think yours are beautiful... so much depth, really. Love the one on the right especially.

anna maria said...

Thanks, Janis!
I actually enjoy painting female faces the most, but it somehow bugs me when I see them staring out at me. Maybe what bothers me is that they are so popular in mixed media.

Anonymous said...

I love both the drawings of the women and the dogs!

anna maria said...

Thanks Paz!