Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Blue Hibiscus


The Blue Hibiscus is apparently no longer classified in the genus Hibiscus. Its botanical name is Alyogyne huegelii (formerly Hibiscus huegelii).

I've had one growing in my backyard for a year now and it's surviving quite well, with not too much care. I'm an erratic and fickle gardener, lavishing attention and affection on the plants in my life in sudden bursts of passion, when every yellowing leaf is promptly removed, the slightest thirst is quenched with gentle showers of cool water, and organic nourishment is proffered, only to later forget them for months at a time.

Luckily for them, and for me, I am currently going through one of my nurturing phases.

Whatever her real name is, I call her "beautiful".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, beautiful! Love it!

Welcome back to the world of blogging. I'm really glad to "see" you again.

Hugs from NY,
Paz

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Yes I'd call it beautiful as well.
Blue's a favorite ... but so is red.