Saturday, May 14, 2011

Barn Swallow - Rondine comune (Hirundo rustica)

Last Sunday I was sitting on a wall over at the place I'm slowing getting renovated, waiting for friends to pick me up, when I noticed two birds swooping overhead, flying in and out of trees and stopping to perch on the end of one of the pieces of bamboo I had put up as supports for my cucumber transplants (which now appear to be zucchini and not cucumbers.....). I couldn't figure out what they were until I saw the distinctive forked tail: swallows.
Domenica scorsa ero seduta su un muretto alla casa che sto facendo lentamente ristrutturare, aspettando alcuni amici, quando ho notato due uccelli che volteggiavano in alto sopra di me, entrando e uscendo dagli alberi, fermandosi ogni tanto sulla punta di una canna che avevo messo nell'aiuola come supporto alle piantine di cetrioli (che a quanto pare sono in effetti piante di zucchine......). Non riuscivo a immaginare che uccelli fossero finche` non ho visto la caratteristica coda biforcuta: rondini.
 A few days later I suddenly remembered that several months ago someone had pointed out to me an old nest that birds had made just inside the doorway, and I thought "I bet they're using that nest". So I cautiously approached the door, but I was not even quite there when a swallow bolted out of the entrance, barely missing my head. Today I put up a sign warning visitors that there is a nest inside and not to enter.
Dopo qualche giorno mi sono improvvisamente ricordata che alcuni mesi fa mi era stato fatto notare che all'interno di uno dei trulli c'era un vecchio nido abbandonato. Mi sono detta "vuoi vedere che lo stanno usando?" Allora mi sono cautamente avvicinata, ma neanche sono arrivata sulla porta che  una rondine e` uscita come un razzo e per poco non si e` scontrata con la mia testa. Oggi ho affisso il cartello che vedete sotto. 
It says here that they can live up to sixteen years and that the same pair of swallows will return to the same nest for 10 years or more. They migrate to Europe in the Spring and return to Africa around the end of August. I'm honored that they've come to visit me.
Dice qui che le rondini possono vivere fino a sedici anni e che la medesima coppia torna ad usare lo stesso nido per dieci anni o piu`. Arrivano in primavera e ripartono per l'Africa verso la fine di agosto. Mi sento onorata che sono venute a trovarmi. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So sweet....You are a good soul for birds and animal my dear Anna Maria.
Antonio