Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Visioning with paper, glue and paint.



I'm taking two online mixed media classes at the moment, in addition to a twice monthly icon painting workshop, and trying to find some time to read.

For the first project in the class offered by Kathryn Antyr of True North Arts we were supposed to make a "vision card" that depicts a place that to us represents relaxation and serenity. For some reason what came to me was an image of myself in nature, at one with it, not separate from it. Sort of an ambitious vision, but it is what it is. I reduced the image, printed it as a 4x6 card, and propped it up on its little stand. There should probably be a colon after the word creation, but I wanted a comma. Call it poetic license. Guess it could be called a lot of things.

Anyway, the photo was taken of me in 1974, approximately, in a tropical forest in Hawai'i, probably on the island of Molokai, and I'm wearing a very large leaf. Ah, the good old days.

The other online class is with Suzi Blu and it is called "The Goddess and the Poet". Here is a sample of my latest drawing for that class.

I think I'm in love with her and I think there is a touch of Hawai'i in her too. Something is in the air between me and Hawai'i at the moment. The islands where I lived from 1969 to 1974 are leaving me little messages all over the place, but I am resisting. I HATE to fly. Even with drugs and alcohol.

The icon writing (that's what it's called) workshop is taught by Betsy Porter at St. Gregory of Nyssa's Episcopal Church in San Francisco. There we try our hand at painting Byzantine-style icons under the gaze of the colorful "dancing saints" who grace the walls of the church.

Here is the icon I have been working on for over a year and a half. That's not as crazy as it sounds because, yes, there are a gazillion steps, but class is only 2 to 3 times a month, and I skipped several months! I have about 3 or 4 more steps to go.

The Archangel Gabriel

Is it any wonder I can't find time to start reading "The Gift of the Jews" by Thomas Cahill?

6 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Beautiful of you with the leaf and nature!! and I can easily see why you are in love with the goddess.
You're amazing with all the things you get yourself into.

Pam said...

These are amazing! All of them. I'm intrigued by the icon painting - I've always found them beautiful beyond words, yet never really thought of the process that goes into their creation. I think it is beyond cool that you are working on an icon painting, no matter how long it takes you!

anna maria said...

Thank you both very much! On Betsy Porter's website it tells you all about how icons in the traditional style are made.

Lady North said...

O My ..Im in Love with your Goddess print and of course you are still that person with the BIG LEAF! Thank you for sharing that class on Icon painting, yes I can believe how long it takes!
Blessings LN

Mescrap said...

I really love your page !! So cool !!

anna maria said...

Thank you Lady North and LaY hOoN!