Monday, August 10, 2009

A Sunday in Ordinary Time



My Sunday started with the 10:30 service at St. Gregory of Nyssa Episcopal Church - as always a technicolor experience for the eyes, the ears and the heart. I don't know why I flipped the camera at the end. Obviously, I'm no videographer...

An excerpt from the church brochure describes the artwork, "A 2,300-square-foot iconographic mural encircles the rotunda walls .... The Dancing Saints Icon depicts 90 saints chosen by the congregation, larger than life and in dancing poses that model a distinctive feature of our worship." Some of the saints of whom you can catch a glimpse in the video are Lady Godiva with her horse, Sadi with tiger, John Coltrane, Francis of Assisi with wolf, Martha Graham, John Muir, Teresa of Avila, Sojourner Truth, and Seraphim with bear.

After the service I walked to Pizza Nostra, just two blocks from church. The Potrero Hill neighborhood is generally sunnier and warmer than the rest of San Francisco, so it's always a treat for me to be able to enjoy lunch at an outdoor table.


After lunch it was back to the church for the ongoing icon workshop, where I am slowly, very slowly, making progress.

All in all, a good day.

4 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Ordinary has it's own glory.

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good day.

Paz

Christine said...

I love your photos just the way they are. And as Tanna says, there is glory in ordinary. Is that icon your artwork? It's beautiful!

anna maria said...

Thanks, Christine, yes, that's my very own Archangel Gabriel. I still have a transparent sphere to paint in one hand and a spear in the other plus some other small items. The next workshop is next Sunday. I only work on it in church.